The goal of this black/white photoshoot was to reveal the diverse look, experiences, and positions of feminists; to break down the often one-dimensional stigma of the word. It is a re-imagining of the current status quo. It is a positive projection toward a future that values individuals for their humanity and their unique difference in this world. We, at RED 7 SALON, believe these ideals matter and that the salon industry can have a major impact in the encouragement of them. As we all know…it’s more than just hair.
What does it mean (even for Men) to be a feminist?
* Unapologetic refusal to be subdued.
* Knowing fear doesn’t determine boundaries.
* Acknowledging the experiences of all people.
* Knowing what you deserve and fighting for it.
* Finding value in things that I hate(d) about myself.
* Finding the place that exists beyond reach of social conditioning.
* Not being diminished by a handful of labels, whatever they may be.
* Wherever someone is on the gender spectrum, it’s A-OK to express that.
* Knowing that it means men will be fuller, more expressive human beings too.
* Knowing that advancement & inclusion of all is the only way to make change with real value.
A special thanks to our amazing team (Natalie, Tiffany, Sarah, Alex, & Margarita) for their incredible ideas, hard work, & contributions, as well as to our wonderful photographer, Karmen Elaine! Karmen…you rock, girl!